- Why ULC?
- R&D Services
X-ID CROSS BORE DETECTION SERVICESOur patented acoustic technology detects cross bores from within gas mains and services. Learn More
LIVE GAS MAIN INSPECTION
We are leaders in the deployment of camera and crawler systems into live gas mains. Learn More
PORTABLE EMISSIONS RECOVERY
Our drawdown compressor technology helps gas distribution utilities reduce emissions. Learn More
AIM: AI-POWERED UTILITY MAPPING
Using vehicle-mounted cameras along with AI and Machine Learning to map electric distribution poles and pole-mounted assets. Learn More
CIRCUIT BREAKER RACKING ROBOT
Breaker Racking RobotAutonomous mobile robot designed to rack and unrack large breakers within substations. Learn More
ELECTRIC CONDUIT INSPECTION
Our field service teams provide video inspection of conduits prior to cable pulls to identify obstructions and pinpoint damages. Learn More
Machine Learning for Jacket Foundation Inspection
ULC used machine learning to enable more efficient inspection of jacket foundations at the Block Island Wind Farm. Learn More
Electrical Conduit Inspection Services
Our field teams provide internal inspection of conduits to pinpoint obstruction and damage prior to cable pulls. Learn More
Robotics & Technology Development
We work with leading energy companies to develop, commercialize, and deploy robotic systems and technologies that support the construction, maintenance, and inspection of infrastructure. Learn More
- Products & Services
Live Gas Main Inspection Cameras
Using AI & UAS to Inspect Offshore Wind Turbine Foundations
ULC Technologies’ Aerial Services division completed an unmanned aerial inspection of the five offshore wind turbine foundations located off the coast of Rhode Island. Automated flight operations and machine learning enabled ULC’s UAS pilots to perform the inspection of all five jacket foundations, capturing and processing more than one thousand images to satisfy the requirements of the customer.
CLIENT: Orsted, Keystone Engineering
INDUSTRY: Offshore Wind
BUSINESS AREAS ADDRESSED:
• Data quality
• System performance and reliability
ULC Custom-Developed Multirotor
HD Video Camera
Flights per foundation: 1
Total flight time: 90 min
Conventional methods of inspecting the offshore wind foundations:
- Expose workers to risk, climbing at heights above sea level
- Are labor-intensive, and can require 6 hours of inspection time per foundation
- Do not capture all data points, due to inaccessible areas or inconsistent photography
Additionally, traditional methods of data analysis:
- Can take substantial time to manually process, review and sort all data
- Can result in inaccuracies, as manual data review is just 95-97% accurate
ULC proposed a detailed flight plan using automated operations to deliver comprehensive inspection data to detail the condition of all key inspection points.
INSPECTION & RESULTS
Using ULC’s custom-developed hexacopter UAV outfitted with a high-resolution 42MP DSLR camera and HD video camera, ULC’s Aerial Services team provided detailed images and reporting on all inspection points as outlined by Orsted.
- High-resolution images of all key inspection points across each of the five foundations
- 100% data capture by ULC, with 360° insight enabled by aerial views, in approximately 1.5 hours versus 6 hours per foundation manually
In addition to automated flight and data capture, ULC Technologies developed and implemented a machine learning application to rapidly process all images captured during the inspection process.
- ULC’s machine learning model can be used to rapidly process the data
- Raised accuracy of data analysis to over 99% through machine learning
- Provided the client with an interactive cloud-based portal for detailed data review
- Enabled better analytics and predictive models for comparative analysis when reviewing previously captured data
Ready to Talk?
Contact our team to talk about your next project.